Last Updated: Friday, 04 June 2021 19:03
Written by GRAHAM BROOKS
The Accrington area of Lancashire has a rich supply of mudstone which is suitable for brick making. The iron content of the mudstone gives bricks trhe brightr red colour. It was quarried on the sides of Whinny Hill and during the late victorian period a number of brick works developed. They specialised in strong engineering bricks and acid resistant terracotta-ware for chemical works.
The bricks were said to be IRON hard and this is thought to have been changed to NORI when the builder of the chimney laid out the letter in white bricks on the ground then built them in to the chimney but in the wrong order.
Accrington NORI red engineering brick from the Accrington Brick and Tile company.
A slight variation with the start and end of the word ACCRINGTON curved slightly.
Brick stamped NORI G.
Accrington NORI stamped on the stretcher surface of a brick.
An arc impression stamp on a brick with no frog.
Accrington REDAC brick. From the Huncoat brick works.
Founded in 1894 by the Huncoat Brick & Terra Cotta Co. Ltd. major parter was Stephen Holgate of Enfield Brick was the major partner.
company was liquidated in 1918 and taken over by B Whittaker & Sons of Leeds. they merged in 1965 with redland holdings ltd.
Site was sold in 1971 to G H Downing & Co Ltd of Newcastle under Lyme.
Site SD 773 305.
Brick from the Accrington Brick and Tile Company.
Accrington Brick and Tile Company was formed in 1887, principal partners in the business was Henry Stephenson a Burnley brick maker, john sharples a builder and J H Heap.
In 1898 employed 130 people making engineering and facing bricks, tiles and terra cotta specials.
company acquired in 1902 by the neighbouring colliery comp[any owned by G W Macalpine and family.
Acquired in 1958 by Lancashire Cotton Corporation Ltd, later taken over by Courtaulds.
The site was at SD 756 302.
Brick from the Huncoats Plastic Brick Company. Accrington.
Another variation on the Huncoat mark.
Another version with the 'REDAC' mark inserted.
Brick from Whinney Hill Plastic Brick Works.
Built in 1896-97 by Whinney Hill Plastic Brick Co. Ltd. The company formed by Henry Stephenson, hannibal Ramsbottom, R S Crossley and others.
Taken over by G W Macalpine in 1916-17 to become part of the Accrington brickworks.
Site SD 764 303.
An acid resistant brick from Whinney Hill.
A brick from the Enfield brick works.
The Enfield Brick & Terra Cotta Co. Ltd. was formed in 1893 by Stephen Holgate, quarrymaster, Charles Foster, builder, and others,
By 1900 they employed 100 people and produced engineering, and rustic bricks and terra cotta specials.
The works were sold to the Accrington Brick and Tile Co Ltd in 1938 when the Enfield company moved to new works at Deerplay
A brick with Accrington stamped diagonally across the frog. Maker unkown.
A brick from Whitakers Brick works Darwen.
A brick from the Millhill brick works.
NEW CENTURY DARWEN
Similar design without the description 'plastic'
John and Joseph Place originally built a cotton mill at Hoddlestden about 1832. In 1838 joseph Place sank the Hoddlesden Colliery. In 1878 the fireclay associated with the coal was started to be mined and used for brick and other clay products Joseph Place and Sons, sanitary pipe manufacturer, was formed. tow of josephs sond William Henry and John Henry and 1892 started the Eccleshill firebrick and fireclay works. The comapny became limited in 1897.
The coal pits were taken over by the NCB in 1947.
Fireclay extraction stopped in 1952 when demand fell with the colliery closed in September 1961 and the site was cleared.
A large chimney pot. The stamp is poor but no other 'sons' brickworks are known in Darwen.
JOHN WOOD DARWEN
A salt glazed ridge ventilator.
The stamp of T Knowles Darwen.
T Knowles ran the Spring Vale Fire Clay works Darwen.
In 1914 they were described as Sanitory Ware Manufacturer specialising in salt glazed sanitary pipes, bends, junctions, gullies and all kinds of traps and fittings. Cattle troughs, pig troughs, horse mangers, sinks, waste water closets, latrines and urinals. Patent man holes, patent anti-flood traps, patent outlet pipes for gas cookers and Knowles paptent golf sand boxes.
The company was acquired by Hepworth Iron Company in 1962.
CLAUGHTON MANOR BRICK WORKS
Claughton Manor Brick works are still working (2014) using an ariel ropeway (only remaining working example in the UK) to bring the shale down to the works.
A much plainer brick mark.
Name arranged around squares in the frog.
Both sides of a white glazed brick.
Withnell Brick works.
Advert for George Clarke brickworks Rishton in Barrett's Directory of Blackburn and District 1947.
RPB Lathom. Lathom is near Ormskirk. RPB stands for Ralph Platt Barker. the site was associated with the Bluguegate Colliery.
h R: hall and Rogers, Stott pit, Westhoughton, Bolton.
Walton brick from the Walton Quarry & Brick Co, Walton Sidings, Entwhistle.
Last Updated: Wednesday, 28 April 2021 18:44
Written by GRAHAM BROOKS
SCOTTISH BRICKWORKS AND MARKS
Buccleugh Terra Cotta Works. NS 780 104.
Operated between c1867 and 1958.
The works were operated by James Irving McConnell & Kirkconnel Coal Company from 190. From 1925 it was part of William Baird & Co Ltd and from 1931 to 1947 by Bairds & Dalmellington Ltd and finally by NCB upto closure.
The variety of stamp marks in the frogs of bricks from this works is numerous.
Note no 'o' in Co. Or 't' in Ltd.
A slight variation on the one above. This one has an 'o' in the Co. and 't' in Ltd.
Works originally opened by George Cleunel in 1852, J Brodie purchased the works in 1891.
In 1891 the works had five Newcastle kilns and a staffordshire oven.
Works later run by Isherwood Brothers and a Mr Scott before been taken over by the Sanquhar * Kirkconnel Colliereis Company.
Buccleugh Terra Cotta Co with raised writing instead on usual depressed.
The same company also had a brickworks at Kirkconnel.
A broken Isherwood Brothers brick. They took over from James Brodie.
Advert carlisle Journal 21st May 1859. setting up agents to sell their products in the Carlisle area. The railway line through Sanquhar eventually connecting to carlisle had opened in 1850.
Skares brickwork was operated by the NCB fron 1954 - 1969 and by the Scottish Brick Corporation between 1969 - 1984, and Glasgow Iron and Steel Company Ltd. between 1984 -1987. Situated NS 530 184. It had one Hoffmann with 28 chambers.
Prestongrange Brick & Fireclay works. NT 373 737.
Operated 1890s - 1970s. Had 1 Hoffmann kiln 24 chambers and 11 round down draught kilns.
'SUMMERLEE' marked bricks were produced at the Preston Grange Brick works between 1907 - 1947.
'GLENBOIG' bricks were made at either 1) Glenboig Fireclay works (old) NS 720 686 Operated from 1886 -1960s.
2) Glenboig Star works NS724 687. Operated 1886 - 1960s.
The company was the Glenboig Union Fire clay Company operating from 1882 - c1969. (were taken over by General refractories of Sheffield in 1936).
A badly worn partially broken starworks J brick.
'DOUGALL' could be produced at either 1) Dougall's Brickworks, Bonnybridge NS 833 792. Operated from 1884. Single tunnel kiln.
2) Bonnyside Brickworks, Bonnybridge NS 836 794. oprating from 1884. Consisting of 1 Tunnel Kiln 2 rectangular downdraught kiln, 2 Belgian kilns with 28 chambers.
A slightly different stamp.
A Dougall 1 brick.
A partially worn Dougall 8.
S B C
SBC - Scottish Brick Corporation took over the remains of the NCB brickworks in 1969. By 1984 it was down to one works at Bishopbriggs.
Produced at Drumpark Brickworks, Bargeddie, Glasgow NS 705 641.
Dewar and Findlay Ltd, specialised in high quality pressed facing bricks in red and blue.
operated from late 1890s to 1977.
Operated from early 20th century till 1977. Consisted of 1 Transverse arch kiln with 16 chambers, 2 round dowhdraught, upto 5 rectangular downdraught.
Anchor Brickworks, Denny, NS 807 835 dating from 1898 - 1931/2. 3 Hoffmann kilns.
Firebrick with just the initials on it.
Advert from the Bulletin of The Institute of Mining and Metalurgy April 1940
Advert Bulletin Institute Mining and Metallurgy August 1947
Advert from the Bulletin Institute of Mining and Metalurgy August 1948.
Advert Bulletin of Institute ofMining and Metalurgy June 1941.
Advert Bulletin of Institute of Mining and Metalurgy October 1947.
Advert Bulletinof Institute of Mining and Metalurgy October 1948.
See Also NETTLE brand marks and THISTLE brand marks.
GILMOUR AND CO
A white glazed brick.
Gilmour & Co, .Drumchapel brickworks, Drumchapel, Dumbartonshire 1896 - 1906.
William Baird & Co, later Bairds & Dalmellington Ltd. Annbank brickworks, Annbank, Ayrshire NS 409 239. 1934 - 1977.
1 Hoffmann kiln 24 chambers.
Was next toAyr 1 & 2 collieries which supplied fireclay to the works.
Taken over by NCB until 1969 then Scottish Brick Corporation till 1977.
Dunaskin Brickworks, Waterside Ayrshire NS 441 083 dating from 1914 - 1983. Originally owned by the Dalmellington Iron Company. Taken over by Baird & Dalmellington Ltd in 1931
1 Staffordshire transverse arch kiln with 14 chambers heated undefloor to 1,100 - 1,200oC and 1 Belgian kiln 24 chambers.
A brick produced after the take over by the National Coal Board in 1947,
Taken over SBC later.
Whitehill Brickworks, Rosehill, Edinburgh.
operated from c1871 - 1977.
1 Hoffmann kiln 6 round downdraught.
A white brick with a slightly different stamp.
Stepends brickworks, Airdrie. Lanarkshire NS 805 670
Craigrigg Brickworks Westfield, West Lowthian NS 933 708.
Pre 19838 - 1950s.
Rosehall Brickworks, Whifflet, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire NS 726 630
C1900 - 1965
Produced by Bonnybridge Silica & Fireclay Co. Ltd. Bonnybridge, Stirlingshire.
1) Etna Brickworks, Bathville, Armadale, West Lowthian NS 944 679.
Originally run by the Glasgow Iron and Steel Company c1897 - 1980's. Management buy out continued the works until closure.
site consisted of 4 Hoffmann kilns 10, 10, 16, 28 chambers. Two of the smaller kilns were built in 1897 and the other in 1898. The larger kiln was built in 1964. Two of the smaller were demolished 1984 and the other was demolished shortly afterwards. 1 modern shuttle kiln 1988.
2) West Works, Armadale, West Lowthian NS 593 677
see also GISCOL
Douglas Firebrick Works, Dalry, Ayrshire NS 297 478.
1914 - c1983
2 tunnel kilns 2 rectangular downdraught kilns.
Newmains Fireclay Brickworks,Morningtonside, Lanarkside. NS 823 549.
c1854 - 1960s.
Bonnybridge Silica & Fireclay Brickworks, Bonnybridge, Stirlingshire. NS 830 790.
1874 - 1971.
see also OCTO
A slightly different stamp the 'BRAND' is spread further to the right wth the 'D' below the 'DG' as against the top brick where it is under the 'ID'
Variations on the stammp and also numbering possibly for shape or quality.
Fauldhead Brickworks, Kirkconnel NS 732 124
Open 1912 -1970s.
White glased brick
Possiblity of 3 brickworks
1) Hurlford Fireclay Works, Hurlford Ayrshire. NS 459 367. From 1858 - 1971. 1 tunnel kiln 7 round down draught.
2)Plann Fireclay Works, Crosshouse, Kilmarnock. NS 398 395. From c1899 - 1969. 14 Rectangular Downdraught and Round Downdraught kilns. 1 Newcastle.
3) Southhook Fireclay Works, Dreghorn, Ayrshire. NS 387 399. From c1889 - 1969.
A similar stamp on a white glazed bullnose brick.
A white brick with J & R howie on one side with Hurlford on the other.
Not only did some manufacturers make the salt glazed drainage products they also had foundries which allowed them to produce the associated iron work.
Salt glazed trough from Hurlford Fireclay works part of John Howie. (see above.)
Hurlford stamp on trough.
Stamped name on trough.
A trough designed to attach to a waterpipe with a ball cock. As well as the normal Hurlford by Kilmarnock stamp (appears twice on opposite corners) there is also a '9' stamped into the top.
An access junction salt glazed drain pipe. With the embossed trade mark.
2 Possible brickworks.
1) Garnqueen Fireclay Works, Glenboig, Lanarkshire. NS 720 681. From c1896 - 1962. ! Transverse arch Kiln 14 chambers, 1 Hoffmann Kiln 10 chambers.
2) Gartliston Fireclay Works, Glenboig, Lanarkshire. NS 723 679. From 1889 -1980. 1 Transverse Arch Kiln, 1 Tunnel Kiln.
Gartshore Brickworks, Kilsythe, Dumbartonshire. NS 706 743, From 1934 - 1979. 1 Hoffman kiln 24 chambers.
Bank Brickworks, new Cumnock, Ayrshire NS 595 115.
c1899 - 1960s.
Boghead Fireclay Works, Bathgate, West Lothian NS 951 678.
c1889 - 1922.
Broomhouse Brickworks, Lanarkshire. NS 676 625.
c1921 - c1940
Made from colliery waste by Glasgow Iron and Steel Co Ltd. incorporated in 1888.
Ran 2 brick works ETNA at Armadale, West Lowthian and Mayfield works at Carluke, Lanarkshire.
NIDDRIE. there were two works under the name of Niddrie
a) Niddrie Brickworks Edinburgh NT 309 715 worked from 1924 to 1991. 3 Hoffmann kilns with 22 and 24 chambers and 1 Shuttle kiln.
b) Niddrie fireclay works Edinburgh. NT 309 720 c 1890 - late 1960s.
Kersland Brickworks, Dalry. NS 303 504.
operated c1910 - c1939.
Hamilton Brickworks. NS 712 562
Operated 1937 - 1980 re-opened 1988.
2 Hoffman kilns 14 and 24 chambers
Rawyards Brickworks NS 770 667.
Operated 1893 - c1960
Probably from the Edinburgh Colliery company who had 2 brick works at Preston grange and Wallyford.
Blantyre Ferme Brickworks, Blantyre. NS 683 607.
operated 1924 - 1974
3 Hoffman kilns.
Gartcosh Fireclay Works, Glenboig. NS 694 679
Operated from c1842 - post 1935.
CALDER FIREBRICK WORKS, GREENEND, AIRDRIE, NS 747 640
From c11893 - 1971.
NETTLE was a trade mark for STEIN Brickworks. It was used for bricks with the following caracteristics. Nettle is one of the high alumina firebrick (42.6%) series possessing properties of high refractoriness, good resistance to slag penetration and high hardness at high temperatures. (From STEIN Catalogue) They were made at Manuel Works, Linlithgow from 1930 till 2004.
A large furnace block.
A trade mark for firebricks made by STEIN
A variation marked 48 - 40?
A variation with a 'C'.
A baby firebrick.
Grahamston Firebrick works, Falkirk, NS 888 810
1857 - 1971.
J. M. CRAIG
J & M Craig form by 2 brothers James and Matthew in 1847. Incorporated in 1896 and went into liquidation in 1923. the company worked coal and fireclay mines at the sites.
J & M Craig, Perceton Fireclay Works, Dreghorn Ayrshire NS 352 399 c1855 - c1908.
J & M Craig ltd Hillhead Fireclay Works, Kilmarnock NS 426 389 c1858 - 1930s.
J & M Craig Ltd Longpark Sanitary Pottery, Kilmarnock NS 427 389 c1888 - 1981.
A sheep foot bath.
A brick with a white glaze on one stretcher face.
Lochside Coal and Fireclay Company Works, Lochside Works Townhill, Dumferline, Fife. NT 102 891.
Worked c1902 - 1974.
2 Rectangular downdraught kilns and 1 Hoffmann.
Castlecary Fireclay & Lime works, Castlecary, Stirlingshire.
c1883 - c1960s.
Robroyston Brick works Glasgow NS 630 683.
c1921 - 1960s.
Reid and Co. Lugton Brickworks, Beith, Ayrshire.
Wm Hudspith and Co. Wishaw, Wishaw pottery and brickworks.
Mayfield brickworks, Carluke, Lanarkshire.
NS 851 495. 1947 - 1978.
2 Hoffman kilns each of 28 chambers.
Made at roughcastle Firebrick Works, Bonnybridge, Stirlingshire NS 845 796.
operated 1892 - 1965.
Made at Lee Terra Cotta works, Braidwood, Carluke, Lanarkshire. NS 845 485.
operated c1891 - c1907.
Made by McDonald at Meadow brickworks, Braidwood, Carluke, Lanarkshire NS 848 490.
C1889 - c 1920
Made at either Darngavil brickworks, Craigrigg, West Lowthian NS 933 708. Or Darngavil works, Airdrie, NS 770 667.
both operated from 1920s - 1950s.
Made at Nellfield brick and tile works, Braidwood. NS 851 482.
Operated from approximately 1893 to after 1915.
In 1898 there was one Hoffman kiln.
Carfin brick works Lanarkshire NS 767 586 C 1859 - 1939
And Carfin Brick works Lanarkshire NS 770 580 c1896 - c 1960s.
Muir Armadale, Barbauchlaw brickworks, west Lowthian NS 942 687 c1893 - 1971.
A second World War II MUIR brick used to build the radar station at Stoer Head NW Scotland.
Methil Brickworks, Aberhill, Fife. NO 375 003.
1828 - c1952.
A red from Methil.
Atlas A brick from the Atlas Firebrick Work, Bathgate, West Lowthian NS 946 680.
operated 1882 - 1973.
A gas fired 30 chamber kiln.
A firebrick DYKEHEAD B
from the Dykehead Firebrick Works, Bonnybridge.
NS 826 789
opened c1925 closed 1960.
Two broken parts from different blocks stamped 45 also a circular mark with a V at 12 o'clock. Note the notch and prong to allow interlocking.
Lanemark Brick works, New Cumnock, Ayrshire. NS 591 132
c1896 - c1939
Larkhall Brickworks, Birkenshaw, Lanarkshire. NS 576 490
c1898 - 1990
1 hoffman kiln 14 chambers.
Plann Fireclay Works, Crosshouse, Kilmarnock NS. 398 395
dating from c1896 - mid 1970s.
Made by the United Colliery, later called United Fireclay of Bathville.
k (A KENNETH & SONS)
Possibly made by A Kenneth & Sons who ran Annadale Brickworks, Crosshouse Kilmarnock, Brodie Brickworks, Dalry, Ayrshire, Commondyke Brickworks, Common, Neat Auchinleck.
Motherwell Brick Company, Motherwell, Lanarkshire.
ROBERT BROWN & SON
A rather battered Patent brick made by robert Brown and son, Fergushie Fireclay Works, Paisley.