- Last Updated: Tuesday, 08 December 2020 19:38
- Written by GRAHAM BROOKS
DATED BUILDINGS OF CARLISLE
Originally the Red Lion. In 1811, Jollie in his directory, has John Boustead as inn keeper and butcher. He died in 1827. His widow continued running the inn until her death in 1834. The property probable belonged to Wilfred Gate who became bankrupt in 1837 with the failure of the Carlisle Old Bank. This is probably when the Boustead family purchased the inn, Rowland Boustead, innkeeper and butcher, died aged 44 in 1847 and left all his property to his brother James.
The Red lion was rebuilt on the corner site for Samuel Boustead (initials and date 1885 above door) from plans produced by J. Murchie.
further extensions in 1894 took the building further down Botcherby.
The front of the hotel is enhanced with pink Shap granite.
A pair of large houses on the the corner of Warwick Rd and Broad St.
Bank and Stanley Hall building on Botchergate.
The site was originally planned to be developed in1898 to screen the new auction mart of Richard Harrison behind it from Botchergate. Originally to be a row of 12 shops. However this didn't happen and in 1901 new plans foa bank on the corner of the South Henry Street entrance to the auction and 3 adjoining shops. A report in 1902 stated the buildings were to be 3 storey and an oriel on the bank corner. The building went ahead and JH 1903 was applied (John Harrison.) Also in 1903 the proposed warehouse above the shops was changed to a public hall to be called Stanley Hall. In 1910 the hall was converted to a cinema. The cinema closed in 1959.
CLYDESDALE BANK, English Street.
The columns around the door and windows are in pink Shap Granite.
Originally for the Carlisle City and District Bank dated 1898 it is of Portland stone an early use of the stone in the north of England. Designed by T Taylor Scott.
NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK corner of English Street and
Shop on Scotch street.
Ashley Street School.
Part of Ashley Street School.
Carrs biscuit Factory (McVites) Caldewgate. The office block.
West End Temperance Hall Caldewgate.
The Society was founded in 1860 and the date stone for the hall is 1861.
Building on Bank Street.
Carlisle Baths on James Street.
Old School on
The old Town Clerks office in Fisher Street.
The old Carlisle Electricity office on James Street.
Fisher hall Fisher Street.
Guildhall Offices Fisher street.
Arkle House Lonsdale Street.
In English garden wall bond with dressings in calciferous sandstone. 2 storey 3 bays with central stairs. Door with carved twisted-columns with cornice and fret parapet porch. Pediment has circular date plaque and ball finial.
Methodist Central Hall, fisher Street.
Designed by A Brocklehurst and A W Hornbrook of Brocklehurst & Co. Manchester and H E Ayres of Carlisle. Built by Laings.
A central pedimented section with low wings to either side with aedicules. Decorated date panel and the pediment is supported on grand ashler pilasters with rusticated sandstone plinth. The entablature has raised lettering METHODIST CENTRAL HALL. Ground floor has four voussoir arches with keystones. Outher two are dsoors with semi-circular fan lights over the doors. The first floor is recessed with a curved facade divided into four panels with pilasters.
Carlisle old town hall.
This building has numerous dated stones commemorating a number of Mayors.
Built in 1668 - 9 on site of medieval town hall. Painted stucco walls on chamfered plinth, red sandstone eaves, cornice and solid parapet. 2 storey and seven bays.
1717 Extension red sandstone ashler with V jointed quoins (right side in photo) At right angle to original two protruding bays on front five bays on side. Clock tower and cupola.
19th Century extension stucco with ground floor pilasters and rustic ashler. (left side in photo) Single bay on front but forms an L on rear.
Serpentine stairs repalced 17th century steps in c1825 red ashler sandstone.
Originally the Cathedral library and later the Registry. Frieze over door Thomas carliol AD1699 (Thomas Smith was bishop) Swan neck pediment enclosing bishops mitre. Possibly all 20th century replacements as little weathering compared to other stonework.
English bond brick work on a sandstone plinth with Sandstone dressings.
Building on the corner of Warwick Road and Lowther Street. Number 2 Lowther Street.
The North British & Mercantile Insurance Company was formed in 1809. They opened offices in Carlisle in the 1920s and this building was probably built for them.
Carlisle Cross./Market Cross
Dated 1682 Joseph Reed Mayor.
Built of ashlar calciferous sandstone partially stuccoed. 5 circular steps to a chamfered plinth with a square base above. Unfluted ionic column with sundial on top (all four faces have a sundial on). The numerals are inscised roman and the gnomons are painted metal.
There are ball and spear finials on each corner. On top is a lion holding a scroll with the City coat of arms on.
Lazonby Terrace, London Road. A substantial row of brick houses with small front gardens at front.
Date stone for Petteril Terrace on Warwick Road. A substantial row of brick houses with small gardens to front.
Brick building at north end of Lowther Street. Note decorative tiles above date.
Shop further up Lowther street on the opposite side.
The same building from an advert in 1928 for W Oram & Sons Ltd, They described themselves as High Class Grocers and Italian Wharehousemen.
Large Victorian house in Norfolk Road.
Milbourne Arms on the corner of Milbourne Crescent and Junction St.
Grade 2 listed public house built in 1852 53 as per the date stone above the Milbourne Crescent doorway.
It is painted stucco over brick on a chamfered plinth with a hipped slate roof.
2 storey and 3 bays on the Milbourne Crescent side and 2 bays on the junction St face. large shop like windows on the ground floor.
This house on Petteril Bridge Road, Upperby. Was it originally a pair of houses? If the window on the left was originally a door then the house would be symetrical.
Farm house in Tarraby. Unusual with the full name of William and Dorothy Bell on the lintel instead of just the initials.
Blundell Place, Blackwell.