WETHERAL MILL.

Wetheral mill, a corn mill, is situated on the west bank of the river Eden in the village of Wetheral at grid ref. NY 4681 5465.

 

WETHERAL MILL

 

The first documentary evidence of a corn mill occurs in the foundation document for Wetheral Priory. The Priory was founded before 1112 by Ranulf Meschin who endowed ‘all land in the manor of Wetherhala plus a salmon weir and water mill in the Eden close to the site of the new institution.’[i] The site of this mill is not known although the salmon weir is below the old Priory and it is possible that the Priory’s mill was situated here. At the dissolution of the monasteries in 1539 the manor of Wetheral passed to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle.

 

The present mill uses the falls situated between the old ferry crossing point and the railway viaduct. The leat flows down the west bank of the river to the mill. The present mill is dominated by the railway viaduct built in 1836 for the Newcastle to Carlisle Railway.

 

Names of millers start to appear in the parish register in the eighteenth century.

 

6th September 1763 William Graham Miller Wetheral baptised his son John and a daughter Mary on 29th December 1764.                                                                            

8th November 1768 James Jackson Described as living at Wetheral Mill baptised his daughter Mary.

 

In the nineteenth century more details of the mill and its occupants.

 

By 1839 Mr Ivinson is owner of the mill and is advertising it to let in the Carlisle Journal 6th April, with details

 

'To be let with immediate entry or at Witsetide an excellent and well accustomed water corn mill situated at Wetheral and containing two pair of French burrs and two pairs of grey stones together with a barley mill, screens, dressing mill and sifter mill and a drying kiln attached. Also the dwelling house and gardens and premises associated with the mill comprising byre, stable, pig house and every other convenience adapted to the use of the mill'.

 

   The mill does appear in two 1830s engravings of the railway viaduct, however close examination of the details of the mill in both engravings would suggest that one of them is probably wrong and neither of them show the details described in the above advert.

 

The mill is shown on the 1849 tithe map but no owner or resident is listed.

 

An advert in November 1849 for a saw and bobbin mill at Wetheral with a powerfull waterwheel.

 

The Carlisle Journal of 4th January 1851 carries a report of the ‘great flood’ This had occurred over the 2nd and 3rd of January when there had been torrential rain with strong winds in the area. This had caused flooding of all the major rivers in the Carlisle area. The report states that the ‘mill at Wetheral that stands on the bank of the Eden has been completely swept away’

 

However the 1851 census (taken on 31st March) shows Edward Thomlinson and his wife living at the mill so it could not all have been destroyed.

 

In February 1852 an advertisement was placed for workmen to cut rock and deepen the mill race to the mill as well as other non-specified alterations.

Some of these alterations may have included alterations to the mill dam in the river and also to the mill house. An advert in 1855 for Wetheral quarries stated that stone from the quarry had been used at the mill dam and house.

 

The position of miller had been changed by October 1852 when Nathian Rowantree advertised for an apprentice miller.

 

By 1869 William Willis is listed as the miller.

 

In January 1879 the mill was advertised for sale, no details of the mill were given but the out buildings are described as including pigsties and stables. There appears to have been no success in the sale and by April 1879 the mechanism in the mill is offered for sale and the house and stable are advertised to be let, Mr Alexander Ormiston the diocesan survey was the person to contact. The house may not have been let because it was advertised to let again in October 1879. By the 1881 census Alexander Ormiston is listed as living in the house.

 

DIRECTORY

YEAR

MILLER

PARSON AND WHITE

1829

JACOB VIPOND

MANNIX AND WHELLAN

1847

FRANCIS IVINSON

POST OFFICE

1858

NATHIAN ROWANTREE

SLATERS

1869

WILLIAM WILLIS

SLATERS

1879

WILLIAM WILLIS

     
     
     

CENSUS RETURNS

YEAR

CHRISTIAN NAME

SURNAME

AGE

RELATION/OCCUPATION

PLACE OF BIRTH

1851

EDWARD

THOMLINSON

35

MILLER

HESKET IN THE FOREST

 

ISABELLA

THOMLINSON

26

WIFE

CARLISLE

1861

NATHAN

ROWANTREE

35

MILLER

LANERCOST

 

MARY HERRIOT

ROWANTREE

33

WIFE

SCOTLAND

 

JOSEPH WILLIAM

ROWANTREE

10

SON

WETHERAL

 

ELIZABETH ELLEN

ROWANTREE

9

DAUGHTER

WETHERAL

 

ALFRED NATHAN

ROWANTREE

6

SON

WETHERAL

 

MARGARET

ROWANTREE

4

DAUGHTER

WETHERAL

 

WILLIAM

ROWANTREE

3

SON

WETHERAL

 

NATHAN

ROWANTREE

1

SON

WETHERAL

   

JACKSON

27

HOUSE SERVANT

KIRKANDREWS

 

MARY

ELLIOT

15

NURSE

IRTHINGTON

 

TIMOTHY

SIMPSON

33

MILLER SERVANT

DUFTON

 

JOHN

CARPPIN

17

MILLER APPRENTICE

SCOTLAND

1871 MILL COTTAGE

ISAAC

SALKELD

62

MILLER

KIRKHOUSE

 

WILLIAM

WILLIS

49

MASTER MILLER

BISHOPTON DURHAM

 

ELIZABETH

WILLIS

77

MOTHER

 
 

MARY

STRONG

21

SERVANT

 

1881 MILL HOUSE

ALEXANDER

ORMISTON

 

ROAD SURVEYOR

 

MILL COTTAGE 1

NATHAN

JOHNSTON

 

AG LABOURER

 

MILL COTTAGE 2

JACOB

HOODLESS

 

AG LABOURER

 

MILL COTTAGE

JAMES

ELLISWOOD

 

GAMEKEEPER

 
 
 
WETHERAL MILL FROM THE VIADUCT TODAY.

[i] Victoria County History Cumbeland 1905 Vol. 2 p. 184.