KENDAL HOUSE DATES

 

sunnyside b      sunyside trce

 

Sunnyside Terrace one of the roads leading towards the Castle. This row is after the road crosses the line of the Lancaster to Kendal canal.

 

 

 

 

kendalvilladate    kendalvilla

 

A pair of large victorian houses on Sunnyside, further up the hill to the terrace above..

 

kendal-villa1       riversideho2

 

A large victorian house Melrose Place on New Road next to the river.

 

 

 

 

 

 

   

 

 

 

 

 

DATED BUILDINGS OF CARLISLE

 

 

COUNTY HOTEL, THE CRESCENT.

 

 

county-hotel          county1

 

Originally the Red Lion. In 1811, Jollie in his directory, has John Boustead as inn keeper and butcher. He died in 1827. His widow continued running the inn until her death in 1834. The property probable belonged to Wilfred Gate who became bankrupt in 1837 with the failure of the Carlisle Old Bank. This is probably when the Boustead family purchased the inn, Rowland Boustead, innkeeper and butcher, died aged 44 in 1847 and left all his property to his brother James.

The Red lion was rebuilt on the corner site for Samuel Boustead (initials and date 1885 above door) from plans produced by J. Murchie.

further extensions in 1894 took the building further down Botcherby

 

The front of the hotel is enhanced with pink Shap granite.

 

 

 

broadstwarwickrdds  broadst2

 

A pair of large houses on the the corner of Warwick Rd and Broad St.

 

botchergate-1      botchergate-2

 Bank and Stanley Hall building on Botchergate.

The site was originally planned to be developed in1898 to screen the new auction mart of Richard Harrison behind it from Botchergate. Originally to be a row of 12 shops. However this didn't happen and in 1901 new plans foa bank on the corner of the South Henry Street entrance to the auction and 3 adjoining shops. A report in 1902 stated the buildings were to be 3 storey and an oriel on the bank corner. The building went ahead and JH 1903 was applied (John Harrison.) Also in 1903 the proposed warehouse above the shops was changed to a public hall to be called Stanley Hall. In 1910 the hall was converted to a cinema. The cinema closed in 1959. 

 

 

 clydesdale-2  clydesdale-1

 

 

CLYDESDALE BANK, English Street.

 

hsbc-1     hsbc-2

 

HSBC BANK, English Street.

 

The columns around the door and windows are in pink Shap Granite.

 

Originally for the Carlisle City and District Bank dated 1898 it is of Portland stone an early use of the stone in the north of England. Designed by T Taylor Scott.

 

nat-west-2   nar-west-1

 

 

NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK corner of English Street and

 

scotch-st-2  scotch-st1

 

 

Shop on Scotch street.

 

 

ashley-school-1    ashlet-school-2

 

 

Ashley Street School.

 

 

 

school-ho-2   school-ho-1

 

 

 

Part of Ashley Street School.

 carrs1   carrs-2

 

 

Carrs biscuit Factory (McVites) Caldewgate. The office block.

 

temperance-hall-2     temperance-hall-1

 

 

West End Temperance Hall Caldewgate.

 

The Society was founded in 1860 and the date stone for the hall is 1861.

 

 

 

bankst1    bankst2

 

 

 

Building on Bank Street.

 

baths1  baths2

 

 

Carlisle Baths on James Street.

 

castleway-1   castleway2    castleway3

Old School on

 

clerks-office-1  clerks-office-2

 

 The old Town Clerks office in Fisher Street.

 

electric1   electric2

 

 

The old Carlisle Electricity office on James Street.

 

fisher-hall-2   fisher-hall-1

 

 

 Fisher hall Fisher Street.

 

guildhalloffice1  guiuldhalloffice2

 

 

 

Guildhall Offices Fisher street.

 

lonsdale1      lonsdale2

 

 

Arkle House Lonsdale Street.

 

In English garden wall bond with dressings in calciferous sandstone. 2 storey 3 bays with central stairs. Door with carved twisted-columns with cornice and fret parapet porch. Pediment has circular date plaque and ball finial.

 

metodist-hall-2    methodisthall1

 

l

Methodist Central Hall, fisher Street.

 

Designed by A Brocklehurst and A W Hornbrook of Brocklehurst & Co. Manchester and H E Ayres of Carlisle. Built by Laings.

 

A central pedimented section with low wings to either side with aedicules. Decorated date panel and the pediment is supported on grand ashler pilasters with rusticated sandstone plinth. The entablature has raised lettering METHODIST CENTRAL HALL.  Ground floor has four voussoir arches with keystones. Outher two are dsoors with semi-circular fan lights over the doors. The first floor is recessed with a curved facade divided into four panels with pilasters.

 

town-hall1   town-hall-2   townhall-3  townhall4

Carlisle old town hall.

 

This building has numerous dated stones commemorating a number of Mayors.

 

Built in 1668 - 9 on site of medieval town hall. Painted stucco walls on chamfered plinth, red sandstone eaves, cornice and solid parapet. 2 storey and seven bays.

 

1717 Extension red sandstone ashler with V jointed quoins  (right side in photo) At right angle to original two protruding bays on front five bays on side. Clock tower and cupola.

19th Century extension stucco with ground floor pilasters and rustic ashler. (left side in photo) Single bay on front but forms an L on rear.

 

Serpentine stairs repalced 17th century steps in c1825 red ashler sandstone.

 

 abbey-cottage-1  abbey-cottage2

 

Originally the Cathedral library and later the Registry. Frieze over door Thomas carliol AD1699 (Thomas Smith was bishop) Swan neck pediment enclosing bishops mitre. Possibly all 20th century replacements as little weathering compared to other stonework.   

 

English bond brick work on a sandstone plinth with Sandstone dressings.

 

warwickrd1    warwickrd3    warwickrd4warwickrd2

 

 

 

Building on the corner of Warwick Road and Lowther Street. Number 2 Lowther Street.

 

The North British & Mercantile Insurance Company was formed in 1809. They opened offices in Carlisle in the 1920s and this building was probably built for them.

 

 

 CARLISLE CROSS

 

carlisle-cross2      carlisle-cross1 

 

Carlisle Cross./Market Cross

 

Dated 1682 Joseph Reed Mayor.

 

Built of ashlar calciferous sandstone partially stuccoed. 5 circular steps to a chamfered  plinth with a square base above. Unfluted ionic column with sundial on top (all four faces have a sundial on). The numerals are inscised roman and the gnomons are painted metal.

 

There are ball and spear finials on each corner. On top is a lion holding a scroll with the City coat of arms on.

 

 

 lazonby-trce1    lazonby-trce2

 

 

Lazonby Terrace, London Road. A substantial row of brick houses with small front gardens at front.

 

 petteriltrce-date

 

Date stone for Petteril Terrace on Warwick Road. A substantial row of brick houses with small gardens to front.

 

 carlislebuildingdate  carlislebuilding

 

Brick building at north end of Lowther Street. Note decorative tiles above date.

lowthershopdate   lowtherst shop

 

Shop further up Lowther street on the opposite side.

shop carlisle

 The same building from an advert in 1928 for W Oram & Sons Ltd, They described themselves as High Class Grocers and Italian Wharehousemen.

 

date norfolk rd   norfolk rd2

 

Large Victorian house in Norfolk Road.

 

milbourn arms date   milbourn arms   milbourne arms 3

Milbourne Arms on the corner of Milbourne Crescent and Junction St.

Grade 2 listed public house built in 1852 53 as per the date stone above the Milbourne Crescent doorway.

It is painted stucco over brick on a chamfered plinth with a hipped slate roof.

2 storey and 3 bays on the Milbourne Crescent side and 2 bays on the junction St face. large shop like windows on the ground floor.   

 

 SURROUNDING VILLAGES.

 

BOTCHERBY

 

norman ho wood st botcherby

Norman House, Wood Street.

HTD 1700

STAINTON.

 

staintonhousedate   staintonhouse

 

UPPERBY

 

upperby datestone1  upperby datestone2

 

This house on Petteril Bridge Road, Upperby. Was it originally a pair of houses? If the window on the left was originally a door then the house would be  symetrical.

 

 TARRABY.

tarraby ho date   tarraby ho

Farm house in Tarraby. Unusual with the full name of William and Dorothy Bell on the lintel instead of just the initials.

 

BLACKWELL

blundell place blackwell  blundell place blackwell.2

 

Blundell Place, Blackwell.  

CUMBRIAN PUBLIC BUILDINGS

CUMBRIAN SCHOOLS.

 

ALLONBY SCHOOL.

Alston Grammar School

Alston alvin School

 Brunswick School Penrith

Cummersdale

Dalston

Dent National School

Garrigill Girls School

Grasmere School

Greystoke School

Hayton (Brampton)

Hesket New Market

HEVERSHAM OLD GIRLS SCHOOL

Hutton roof School.

KENDAL TECHNICAL COLLEGE.

KESWICK ST JOHN.

Kings Meaburn School

NENTHEAD OLD SCHOOL (VILLAGE HALL)

Parton

Rickerby Boys School.

Threlkeld

Ulverston Infants.

West Newton

 Wigton

Winton School

READING ROOM

Allonby

Calthwaite

Great Corby

MILNTHORPE

Renwick

Tindale

SUNDAY SCHOOLS

LOW ROW WESLEYAN

Keswick Primative Methodist. 

Wythop

PARISH ROOMS

St. Michael's Workington

CUMBRIAN POLICE STATIONS

Ambleside

BRAMPTON

Cockermouth

MILNTHORPE

 Patterdale

LIBRARYS

 

 Sedbergh

 KESWICK

MASONIC HALLS

Cockermouth.

VILLAGE HALLS

 

Allonby 

Armathwaite.

LOW ROW.

Millbeck village hall.

NENTHEAD VILLAGE HALL (OLD SCHOOL) 

PARKIN HALL POOLEY BRIDGE.

Ravenglass

 

Threlkeld 

TEMPERANCE HALLS

Kirkby Stephen

MARKETS

AMBLESIDE

Kirkby Stephen Butter Market

CLUBS ETC

Dufton Conservative Club.

 

MUSEUMS 

 

KESWICK MUSEUM

 

PARKS.

 

KESWICK PARK

 

HOSPITALS AND HOMES.

 

WILSON MEMORIAL HOMES BRAMPTON.

 

 

 

 

CUMBRIAN SCHOOL DATE STONES

 

RICKERBY BOYS SCHOOL, CARLISLE.

 

 

 

rickerby boys school3

 

DALSTON NATIONAL SCHOOL.

 

 

 

dalston-national-school

 

 

 

CALDBECK SCHOOL BOARD HESKET NEW MARKET SCHOOL

 

hesketnewmarketschoola

 

 

CUMMERSDALE SCHOOL.

 

 

 

cummersdaleschoolJPG

 

 

DENT NATIONAL SCHOOL

 

 

Copy-of-nationalschooldenta    dentsch

 

 

 

ALSTON GRAMMAR SCHOOL.

 

alston-grammar-school

 

 

This building has now been converted to the local fire station.

 

 

ALSTON SALVIN SCHOOL

 

 

 

alston-school

 

 

 WINTON SCHOOL

 

schoolwintonb

 

 This stone commemorates the high and mighty of the local community.

 

schoolwintonc

 

 Not quite sure what the relevance of this inscription is.

 KINGS MEABURN SCHOOL

 

 

kongsmeaburnschool1

 

The mason who carved this tablet certainly showed off his range of different scripts.

SAINT MATTHEW'S SCHOOL WEST NEWTON

Stmathews-west-newton2 

 

GARRIGILL GIRLS SCHOOL

 

school-garrigill

 

 

NENTHEAD SCHOOL

date-stone-nenthead-hall

 

Built by the London Lead Company to repalce an earlier school and is now used as the Village Hall.

 

ULVERSTON INFANTS.

infants-ulverston

 

 

 KESWICK, ST. JOHNS.

 

st-johns-datest-johns-school

 

 

 

 

WIGTON

 

school-wigton-datewigton-school

 

 

GRASMERE SCHOOL.

 

grasmere-date-2  grasmere-date-2a

 

 

 

 HUTTON ROOF SCHOOL

 

HUTTONROOF-SCHOOL1    HUTTONROOF-SHOOL2

 

 

 

PARTON SCHOOL.

 

 

 partonschooldate   partonschool

 

 

Originally the girl's school. The boy;s was across the road in now what is the village hall.

 

GREYSTOKE SCHOOL 

 

 greystokebuildingdate    greystokebuilding

 

 

KENDAL TECHNICAL COLLEGE

 

kendalcollegedate  kendalcollege

 

 

BRUNSWICK SCHOOL.

brunswickschooldate1   brunswickschooldate2

 

brunswick-school

 

 

brunswickschooldate1 

 

ALLONBY SCHOOL.

 

allonby school1    allonby school2

This school was originally paid for by Thomas Richardson, Stamford Hall, Middlesex.

 old girls school2    old girls school1

OLD GIRLS SCHOOL, HEVERSHAM.

Built from slobbered rubble walls with stone dressings. Graduated green slate roof with stone ridges. Single storey.

Built by James J Gandy of Kendal work started in the churchyard without permission, eventually it was allowed if it was fenced off from the churchyard. Land adjacent to the churchyard was donated by George Wilson of Dallam Towers for a school house the cost of building which was covered by the Honorable Mrs Howard.

 

hayton school date   hayton school

 

HAYTON SCHOOL (BRAMPTON)

 

threlekld school 2      threlekld scholl1

THRELKELD SCHOOL

 

READING ROOMS ETC.

 

Reading rooms were often built in villages etc. by either the major local landowner or the major employer. The idea was to help improve adult education by supplying a selection of books usually on  a 'self help' basis. Similar buildings were occasionally called institutes.

TINDALE READING ROOMS (Now a private dwelling)

 

 

readingroomtindale1

CALTHWAITE READING ROOMS

 

calthwaite reading rooms

 

RENWICK READING ROOMS

 

renwick-reading-rooms

 

GREAT CORBY READING ROOM. (NOW THE VILLAGE HALL)

 

gt-corby-hall-date  gt-corby-hall

 

Built by subscription in 1877.

 

 ALLONBY OLD READING ROOMS

 

allonby-house-3-date   allonbyhouse3

 

milnthorpeinstitutedate  milnthorpeinstitute

 Milnthorpe  Reading Rooms.

 

 

 

SUNDAY SCHOOLS

 

 

WYTHOP SUNDAY SCHOOL

 

wythop-sundayschool1

 

 

 This tablet may just commemorate Quenn Victoria's Jubillee rather than the building date. Although it school may have been built as a commemoration of the event.

 

 

Keswick Primative Methodist Sunday School.

 

keswick-schoolb     keswick-schoola

 

 

 

The Sunday School is attached to the back of the Primative Methodist Chapel.

 

LOW ROW WESLYAN SUNDAY SCHOOL.

 

lowrowchapel2  low row chapel

The sunday school is the wing sticking out towards the road and is attached to the chapel (now a private residence)

PARISH ROOMS

 

St. Michaels, Workington.

 

parish-rooms

 

POLICE STATIONS

 

Patterdale

 

 

patterdalepolicehouse

An inscription on the window lintel.

 

COCKERMOUTH.

 

cockermouthpolicedate      cockermouthpolice

 

AMBLESIDE

 

ambleside police station2   ambleside house1

 

 

BRAMPTON

 

brampton police1  brampton police2

 

Original police station behind the old magistrates courts which are now the police station.

 

milnthorpe police station 2   MILNTHORPE police stationa

 

Milnthorpe police station. Westmorland County Constabulary.

 

 

 

 

 

CUMBRIAN LIBRARIES

 

Sedbergh Library

 

 

 

sedburgh-library2

 

 

 Keswick old library.

 

keswick-library-datekeswick-library

 

 

MASONIC HALLS.

 

COCKERMOUTH MASONIC HALL.

 

 

cockermouth-masonic-date

 

 

 

VILLAGE HALLS

 

Armathwaite

 

armathwaite-village-hall

 

Not a date stone for the building but to commemorate the presentation of the clock.

 

ravenglass-date-4

 

Ravenglas Village Hall

 allonby-hall-date   allonbyhall

 

Allonby village Hall.

 

millbeckvillagehalldate    millbeckvillagehall

 

Millbeck Village Hall.

parkinhallpooleybridgedate     parkinhall 

 

Parkin Memorial Hall Pooley Bridge.

 

lowrowvillagehall2   lowrowvillagehall

 

The Taylor Institute Low Row.  Built by Christopher Taylor as a gift to Nether Denton Parish. 

threlkeld public room 2     threlkeld public room 1

Threlkeld Public Rooms 

 

 

TEMPERANCE HALLS.

 

kirkby-stephen-temperance-h

 

 

Kirkby Stephen Temperance Hall. Not a date stone as such but large numbers on the top.

Statue of Temperance above the door.

 

 

 MARKETS

 

 

 

kirkby-stephen-butter-marke

 

 

Kirkby Stephen Butter Market in  front of the church.

 

Built with the proceeds from the will of John Waller, designed by George Gibson and built by mason William Richardson.

 AMBLESIDE

 

ambleside th1    ambleside markwt hall

 

Picturesque victorian gothic. Built of slate rubble with a gabled street facade. Ground floor arched widows, upper floor has a large cusped window on street side, other s0ides 3 light windows. A square 3 storey tower on SE corner with arcged doorway up a flight of steps. Small belfry type windows with clock in roof gables.

 

CLUBS

 

duftonn-conservative-club

 

 

 Dufton  Conservative Club. 

 

MUSEUMS

 

keswickmuseum-date      keswick-museum

 

KESWICK MUSUEM.

 

PARKS

 

keswick-park-gates  keswickpillar1   keswickpillar2

 

KESWICK PARK

 

 

 

HOSPITALS AND HOMES.

 

wilsonhodate  wilsonhobrampton

 

 

Wilson Memorial homes on the Sands at  Brampton.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DATESTONES ON NORTHUMBRIAN BUILDINGS

 

CHURCHES

 

 

datestones-slaggyford-churc

 

A selection of date stones on Slaggyford Church showing the different alterations.

 

PUBLIC BUILDINGS

 

gilsland reading1   gilsland reading2

 

Gilsland reading rooms.

 

 

 

 

HOUSES 

 

knarsdaledaye     farm-knarsd

 

 

Farm Knarsdale NY 666 531.

 

 

 gilsland date

 

 Date stone at Gilsland.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS

 

BRIDGES These have date stones either commemorating the building of the original bridge or alterations. They tend to list the Architects, Engineers, and builders along with the local diginitaries of the time if in an urban setting.

INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS. hese usually show the date of building along with the original owners and occasionally also local dignitaries if it is associated with a local council.

BANKS. Most banks like to make a statement. It was usually one of the most impressive buildings in the High Street and were usually architect designed. 

SHOPS. Many shops have a date stone on them telling when the original building was built.

RAILWAY STATIONS.  

 

MINE BUILDINGS AND ADITS.

 

 

BRIDGES

 

ARMATHWAITE

CARLISLE VIADUCT

COWGILL BRIDGE DENTDALE

GELTSDALE VIADUCT

GILDERDALE BRIDGE.

HOUGHTON

NENTBERRY BRIDGE

SEATOLLER BRIDGE

 SICKERGILL BRIDGE

SOUTHWAITE BRIDGE, COCKERMOUTH

WARWICK BRIDGE


WETHERAL VIADUCT

victoria viaduct plaque

Victoria Viaduct Carlisle.

The main road over the railway in central carlisle. Red Granite.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 MIDDLEGELTVIADUCT2

.MIDDLE GELT VIADUCT

 

 

Viaduct on the Newcastle to Carlisle railway carrying the railway over the River Gelt. The plaque is on the pillars under the bridge. One side (opposite) is in English the other has the same inscription but in victorian latin. The bridge crosses the River Gelt and also two minor roads.

Three tirth foot spans 64 feet high at a 63o skew (said to be an early example of a skew bridge)

 

The engineer was Francis Giles. (see also Wetheral Viaduct and Warwick Bridge) The builder was John McKay.

 

See also the small road bridge (Middle Gelt Bridge)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 MIDDLEGELTVIADUCT

 

 

 

 WETHERAL VIADUCT (CORBY BRIDGE)

 

 

This viaduct carries the Newcastle to Carlisle railway over the River Eden between Great Corby and Wetheral.

 

 

wetheral-viaduct-top

 

wetheralviaduct2

 

On the walls at the Wetheral station end of the deck are the above two stones commemorating the laying of the foundation stone by Henry Howard of Corby. There appears to be a need for putting a stone up with the inscription in victorian latin.

 

 wetheralviaduct

 

This stone in the middle of the viaduct opposite the attached footpath commemorates both the engineer Francis Giles (see also Warwick Bridge) and the builder William Denton.

 

WARWICK BRIDGE

 

  

 

WARWICKBRIDGE3

 

WARWICKBRIDGFE2

 

stones set into the parapets of this road bridge. Again the victorian latin version is present.

 

The Carlisle Journal 7th January 1832 carried a report on the Cumberland Quarter sessions held earlier in Carlisle during which the subject of the condition of the bridge at Warwick Bridge came up. It was reported that part of the foundations had given away and the bridge was dangerous to cross. The old bridge had such a steep incline on it that it was impossible to see across the bridge from either side and that due to its narrowness that it was difficult for two coaches to pass without damaging the parapets. Mr Howard of Corby Castle had written to suggest a new bridge should be built as this was not the first time the old bridge had needed repair and a considerable sum of money had been spent over the years. Mr Giles the railway engineer had also been asked by Mr Dixon to inspect the bridge and he considered it unsafe and unlikely to withstand ice formation on the river. The justices decided to get designs for a new bridge. 

The Carlisle Journal carried and advert for stone masons to build a new bridge of 3 segmental arches, the centre was to be 80ft span and the 2 side ones 75 feet. the roadway was to be 25ft.

The Journal of the 30th June 1832 carried a letter from A Friend to the Economy complaining that the magistrates had no right to replace a bridge because it was to narrow and he declared that although the route was at present busy as soon as the railway (Newcastle to Carlisle) opened it would revert to  a local byway if the claims of the railway company were true. He stated that the bridge could be repaired for £450 and would last 30 to 40 years if no accidents occurred. this was in comparsion to the estimated cost of a new bridge of £6 - 7000 an unnecessary expense on the rate payers of the county. 

 

 

 COWGILL BRIDGE DENTDALE

 

cowgillbridge1

 

A stone to commemorate the repair to this bridge and more importantly who paid for the repairs. This was often a fraught subject in the 16th to 20th century when counties were responsible for some bridges and individual parishes were resonsponsible for others. This one was obviously the responsiblity of the county.

 

 

SEATOLLER BRIDGE

  

 

 

bridge-seatoller-date

 

 

SOUTHWAITE BRIDGE COCKERMOUTH

 

southwaite-bridge1date

 

 

GILDERDALE BRIDGE

 

howgillbridge1howgillbridge2

 

 Stone in West Parapet.                                                                     Stone in East Parapet.

 

NENTSBERRY BRIDGE

 

 haggs-bridge-date

 

Date of 1855. Unfortuneately it appears on the river side of the north parapet and is therefore not easly seen. Has the stone been repalced the wrong way round at some time?

 

 

ARMATHWAITE BRIDGE.

 

armathwaitebridge1     armathwaite-bridge-2

 

 

A tablet to commemorate the widening and rebuilding of the bridge 1907/08.

SICKERGILL BRIDGE

 

sickergill-bridgew-date 

 A tablet commemorating the re-building in 1898.

 

HOUGHTON BRIDGE.

houghton bridge datestone

A tablet commemorating in 1890 mason R Armstrong from Gilsland.

townfield bridge threekeld

A tablet showing Threlkeld Fieldhead bridge built in 1906. A single arch bridge'

 

 INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS

 

ALSTON FOUNDRY.

CLINT MILL, PENRITH.

COTTON MILL DALSTON

GELTSDALE PUMP HOUSE

GREAT CORBY SMITHY.

 JANE PIT WORKINGTON

 KIRKOSWALD SMITHY.

KENDAL SNUFF MILL.

LOWOOD GUN POWDER WORKS

SWINDALE WATERWORKS

THIRLMERE DAM

WARWICK BRIDGE CORN MILL

WARWICK BRIDGE COTTON MILL

WHITEHAVEN HARBOUR WATCH TOWER.

 WILLOWHOLME POWER STATION, CARLISLE

WILSON PRINTING WORKS KENDAL.

 

 CARLISLE, WILLOWHOLME POWER STATION

 

 

 

plaque carlisle power station

 

 COMMEMORATIVE PLAQUE ON THE REMAINING BUILDING OF CARLISLE POWER STATION AT WILLOWHOLME CARLISLE.

 return to list

 

CARLISLE CITY WATER WORKS VALVE HOUSE UPPER GELTSDALE

 

 

valvehousegeltdale

 

 

Inscription reads CC 1906 (CC = Carlisle City)

 

FILTER PLANT SWINDALE

filter ho   filterho ny 52388 14662a

 

NY 52388 14662.

West Ward is part of Cumbria so this plant must have been for local use, although. it is near to the Haweswater system that provided water to Manchester

 COTTON MILL, DALSTON

 

 cowen-mill-dalston

 

The door lintel on a small building at this cotton mill in Dalston.

 

 

WARWICK BRIDGE CORN MILL

 

DATE-STONE-WARWICK-BRIDGE-M   MILLERS HOUSE WARWICK BRIDG

 

 This stone is on the miller's house at Warwick Bridge. The Lion is for the Howard family. the mill was part of the Howard of Corby Castle estate.

 

 

WARWICK BRIDGE WOOLEN MILL

 

DATE-STONE-WARWICK-BRIDGE-C    WARWICCOTTONMILL2

 

 

 

In 1790 the three brothers John, Richard and George Ferguson leased from Philip Howard of Corby Castle land at Langthwaite farm with the right to build a mill, waterwheel, mill race, sluice and weir with exclusive right on the Cairn Beck and also use of the Trout Beck. The initial rent was £9 for the first 21 years and then £24.

 

They built a 700yd mill race from the Cairn Beck and the mill opened in 1793 and the mill had 443 spindles and was producing 800lds of yarn. The site also had dyehouses and warehouses. Unfortunately on the 8th of August 1793 the mill was destroyed by fire. Luckily it was insured with the Phoenix insurance Co. and it was rebuilt.

 

The new building was 66ft by 33ft of 3 storeys and an attic with the waterwheel on the south gable.

 

To protect their water supply and also to obtain further land the brothers took a lease in 1798 of Langthwaite farm. They had the right to construct a reservoir on the land between the mill and farm. A race from the trout beck was eventually built in 1806 with strict control so that the water flow to the Howards corn mill was not interrupted.

 

In 1809 the Ferguson brothers sold their lease to their brother in law Peter Dixon and his sons John, Peter and George for 7 years. This was extended for another 22 years from 1815. This lead to a rapid development with the building of a 4 storey and attic extension, cottages, and the reservoir was built.

A new water wheel was erected in December 1815. It was mainly cast iron with a diameter of 23 ft and 10ft breadth. Designed by Mr Joseph Hornsby of Bolton and castings were by Messrs Porter. It was situated between the 2 mills and supplied power to both mills.

 

It is obvious that the water supply to the mill was an on going problem with alterations to the weir and mill race being made and negotiations with the land owners the Howards to secure the supply. However in 1832 a steam engine was installed. This was supplied by Peel, Wiliams and Peel’s Soho Works, Manchester. At the same time the machinery in the mill was improved with the fitting of Danforth Throstle spinning machines from Sharp, Roberts and Co of Manchester. Carding  machines and a drawing frame were supplied by Jenkinson and Bros of Salford.

 

The Dixon Brothers also started building their large mill in Shaddongate, Carlisle and as it was nearing completion in 1836 they tried to dispose of the mill. The sale notice describes the forth coming Newcastle to Carlisle railway. The factory consisted of dyehouses for 130 vats, bleach house, 34 cottages, gas house and accommodation for a steam engine. However this sale failed and the Dixons stayed on.

 

By 1844 they had built another row of cottages and a school for 150 children.

 

From time to time the under-lease was renewed, but business suffered with the American Civil War, and in 1872 the partners were declared bankrupt on their own petition.

 

A joint stock company, Peter Dixon & Sons Ltd, was floated almost at once, and on 20 January 1873 it purchased Langthwaite Mill with all its engines and machinery at a cost of £13,000. Although the mill itself stayed idle, the adjoining dye and bleach works, containing over 300 iron dyeing vats and 17 indigo mills, driven by a condensing engine, a waterwheel and two turbines, were fully employed on finishing work for the firm’s Carlisle factories which the company had also acquired. The company surrendered the lease in 1885, having ceased to trade two years earlier, and in 1888 the property was sold to Messrs William Waddell & Son, woollen manufacturers from Otterburn who had a mill close by at  Heads Nook. They were succeeded by William Wadell & Son until 1970.

 

Squared red sandstone rubble walls, slate roof and slated wooden bellcote. 3 storeys, plus attic and 9 bays to original mill (1790 and 1793) and spinning mill (1814) of 4 storeys, plus attic and 11 bays: straightforward factory building of the Industrial Revolution, originally water powered. Plain surrounds to windows with C19 cast iron frames and glazing bars: 20th Century loading bays cut through 2 windows in spinning mill and end bay covered by 4 storey projecting lift shaft. Arch under spinning mill gives water access to original wheel position. Converted to steam in 1832. Walls secured by plates and ties. Bell still in bellcote, surmounted by weather-vane with initial F (Ferguson) and 1791 cut through. Internal cast-iron columns between floors. Although completed in 1791, Langthwaite Mill was gutted by fire on 8 August 1793 and had to be rebuilt: ceased production in 1883 and reopened as a woollen mill, re-named Otterburn Mill in 1888: continued as such until the late 1970's, when it was sold to be split into separate units.

 

 

 

lowwoodgunpowder


Date stone on the buildings at  Lowood Gunpowder works.

 

 

sundialwhitehavenharbour

 

Dated sundial on watch tower whitehaven harbour.

 

thirlmere-dam-datethirlmere-dam-plague

 

Rock carved date and the more offical plaque commemorating the opening of Thirlmere dam.

 

jane-pit-date-2

 

jane-pit-date1

 

 Jane Pit, Workington. Date stones on engine house and chimney.

 

 

wilson-kendal-1       wilson-kendal-2

 

Titus Wilson printing works Kendal.

 

 

 

alston-foundry2    alston-foundry-1

 

 

ALSTON FOUNDRY,

 

Part of the 2nd world War effort. foundry to produce munitions away from German attack. Now a scrap yard.

kirkoswaldsmithydate    kirkoswaldsmithy

KIRKOSWALD SMITHY.

A smithy is shown on the second edition Ordnance Survey map, 1898. on this site. now part of the more modern garage.

 

 blacksmithgtcorbydate1   blacksmithgt-corby-date2   blacksmiths-Gt-corby

 

GREAT CORBY BLACKSMITH.

 

One capital has initials CMH (Howard) other roman numerals for 1833 Built to represent Vulcans forge.

2 short columns with free capitals round moulded arch, considered by Pevsner to have been taken from a 1200 church.

 

kendal-snuffdate     kendal-snuff

 

KENDAL SNUFF MILL.

 

The works of Samuel Gawith & Co. Ltd. 'The Kendal Brown House' specialist snuff and tabacco makers since 1792.

penrithmilldate    penrithmill

Clints mill in the centre of Penrith initials and date cast into iron door lintel.

 

gasworksdate   gasworks1

 

Managers house at Milnthorpe Gas works. Only right gable is original. opened in 1860 it was one of the last coal gasworks in the country.

 

 

 

BANKS

 

 

 

Bank Main St  Sebergh.

 

bank-sedburg2

 

 

 

bank-sedburgh3

 

 

 

SHOPS

 

APPLEBY POST OFFICE

APPLEBY TUFTON HOTEL

SEDBERGH

TINDALE CO OP

 

Row of shops High St. Sedbergh

 

 

shops-sedburgh2

 

 

TINDALE CO OP.

 

 

cooptindale1 

 

The building is dated 1888, although the Society was formed as an independent Society in 1873. It amalgamated with the Naworth Society in 1897. the store closed in 1965 and was converted to private housing.

 

APPLEBY POST OFFICE

 

applebypostofficedate   applebypostoffice

 

There is a seond date stone on the building between the first floor windows.  applebypostooficedate2  Presumably this refers to the building that was on the site prior to the post office.

 

 

 

kendalshops1   kendalshops2

 

 

A row of victorian shops at the end of Stramongate Kendal.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 HOTELS

APPLEBY TUFTON HOTEL

 

applebyhotledate1    applebyhotel

 

 

HIGHGATE HOTEL, KENDAL.

highgatehotel2   highgatehotelb

 2* Listed building possibly originally a pair of houses. 3 storey and 5 bays  date and inscription above window to left of door. wet dashed rubble with plinth and eaves.

Either side of the front door steps are milestones

 

 

 

RAILWAY STATIONS

 

 

 

ulverston-station

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The third set of railway builldings to be built at  Ulverston.

 

london-rd-goods

 

LONDON ROAD GOODS SHED. 

The Midland Railway Company built a new goods shed on the site of the original London Road Station from the opening of the Newcastle to Carlisle railway.

 

   

 

 

MINE BUILDINGS AND ADITS.

 

It was quite common for new adits etc. to be crowned with a stone with the date on it in which the level was driven.

 

 

date-long-meglong-meg-adit

 

Adit on river bank below the old plaster mill at Long Meg Gypsum Mines. Dated as 1895.

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

More Articles ...

  1. building date stones