- Last Updated: Saturday, 19 September 2020 19:14
- Written by GRAHAM BROOKS
SOUTH WEST SCOTLAND
An old milestone on the A762 the inscriptions have been eroded off
An example from further along the road (A762) NG stands for New Galloway. Note it measures down to ½ mile.
A milestone in Dumfries. This one is to a particular part of the town.
Plate attached to the Mid Steeple Dumfries.
A milestone on the B7020 at NY10872 75022.
A basic granite stone with '1' carved into it. At NX 978 746.
A milestone on the now minor road from Glen Trool Village to Crosshill. NX 35410 89040.
This must have been one of the main roads north through Galloway at one time.
Milepost on the Carlisle (C) to Jedburgh (J) road N is for Newcastleton.
A cast iron milepost at Doune.
MILEPOSTS OF FIFE
the toll roads of Fife have a very fine collection of mile posts and guide plates. Each turnpike trust had their own style of lettering etc on the cast iron tops.
Milepost on A91 at NO 492 176.
guide plate on the junction of the B 940 and A 915.
Guidepost on the other side of the same junction
Mileplate at the ferry terminal at Newport on Tay. It marks the end of the main coaching route from the Forth to the Tay.
Although a ferry ran from Newport (Seamills) to Dundee from probably the medieval period. The present pier dates from 1821 and was designed by Thomas Telford when the first steam ferry the 'Union' was introduced. The last sailing was 18th August 1966 with the opening of the Tay Road Bridge.
Made by Alex Russell Kirkcaldy Foundary 1824.
HIGHLAND MILE POSTS.
Road improvements have played an important part in the development of the highlands, and still do. After the Jacobite uprisings the government built a series of milatary roads through the region to allow rapid movement of troops between the various barracks. (A lot of these were designed by General Wade and are shown on a lot of maps as Wades roads.) During the end of the eighteenth century and the start of the nineteenth century a further series of road developments were carriedout some of them under the guidance of Thomas Telford.
This is one of the main roads north through the highland connecting Edinburgh with the north of Scotland via Stirling, Perth and Inverness. There are a number of now blank granite milestones allong the route.
Within some of the towns and villages through which the original road passed cast iron marker are present. The above is in Carrbridge.
Above Carrbridge are a series of stone posts with markings still on them.
Cast Iron milepost at Fionnphort NM 305 232 on the A849.
Erected in 1897 it was cast by smith Pattinson. Pioneer Foundry, Blaydon on Tyne.
A milepost on the road connecting the Corran Ferry and Lochaline Ferry.